my Blue trike Life

walkabout, on a journey to a greater destination

Sunday, February 06, 2005

into those hard and dark places


i was a bit upset last night
over a few things
sat in my blue beanbag
just thinking about stuff
for about an hour or so
i eventually got up and had some dinner
then i decided as i was alone at home
to watch a movie
from my housemate Jame's collection
i chose Lord Of The Rings - The Return of the King
on christmas day i had a discussion
with my older brother and younger sister
about wether the series of movies
from a "christian" perspective
were "good" or not
meaning whether we were
giving satan a way into our minds
(generally a bad thing if u are a christian)
or not
my brother with the argument
"everything has a good or bad spirit behind it"
decided that they were bad
he has never seen any of them i am pretty sure
and was against them from the beginning
my lil siter agreed with him that they were "bad"
(she had watched one or two)
mainly due to the elves and wizards
and other creatures in the movie who
use some sort of supernatural power
normally with this i would tend to agree
many movies with characters like this
i will not watch or may watch once only
or will not watch certain parts
while the evil characters in The Lord Of The Rings
are quite spirit like as well as beast like
i some how seem to be able to watch these movies
and not feel like i am going against "my" convictions
in fact after watching The Return of the King last night
i was filled with hope not despair
peace and not anger
know i know it is a parable for anything
but to me
The Lord Of The Rings is a story of hope
that one of the least of this world
would be able to accomplish the greatest task ever
this story gives me hope
that through all of the hardest times
if i keep perseveering
i will be able to accomplish God's task for me
and that the church
through all of the bad and hard times
will complete its task
but we need to work together
and we need to be following Jesus
into those hard and dark places

3 Comments:

  • At 06 February, 2005 20:01, Blogger John M said…

    so what do people think about The Lord Of The Rings??
    As in would you agree with my brother's thoughts?
    Or do you have another opinion??

     
  • At 07 February, 2005 11:00, Blogger Christop said…

    One question we could as is, where are their supernatural powers coming from? The good source or the bad source?
    Some kids when they get told about Jesus' miracles call them magic, and I don't really see a problem with that - it's God's magic, not Satan's.
    It's pretty clear in Lord of the Rings that Saruman and Sauron get their powers from Morgoth, an evil god, and that Gandalf, the elves et cetera don't. As far as I know it isn't explained where Fandalf and co. get their powers from though.
    Should ask Tab, she would be more familiar with the books.

     
  • At 13 February, 2005 17:31, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's strange! I'm usually quite wierd and uneasy about these type of movies--which is why I initially stayed away from them. Strange, mystical type movies leave me with uncomfortable and unpleasant feelings. I ended up watching The Lord of the Rings while I was sick last month and discovered I quite enjoyed them. I'm not sure what I think of the strange characters and their powers, but I did like how they all came together to fight the evil and that they were willing (though some were scared) to risk their lives doing so. Like they stood up for good. It challenged me and inspired me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home