my Blue trike Life

walkabout, on a journey to a greater destination

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

and follow what you love

No. I won't get over it. It's football, the beautiful game. It's the game I love, it's a passion. It's not footy, no matter which brand of "football" in Australia is called that, it's not footy. I don't think it is understood. I want people to understand why i get up at 3,4am to watch men run around and kick the ball into the back of the net, because it is so much more than that. It is the world game, played in every country in the world. It brings waring nations together in peace. It is where sportsmanship and fairness are held in the highest regard.
It is the original football, the earliest form recorded is by the Chinese, "The very earliest form of the game for which there is scientific evidence was an exercise of precisely this skilful technique dating back to the 2nd and 3rd centuries B.C. in China. A military manual dating from the period of the Han Dynasty includes among the physical education exercises, the "Tsu'Chu". This consisted of kicking a leather ball filled with feathers and hair through an opening, measuring only 30 - 40 cm in width, into a small net fixed onto long bamboo canes - a feat which obviously demanded great skill and excellent technique." FIFA History of Football
It was only formalised into the game we see today in the late 1800's by the English, and forming the F.A.(Football Association).
Where the distinguishing Association Football comes from, not that anyone calls it Association Football cause it is Football.
I don't have a problem with some people calling it soccer, I just don't want people to expect me to call it that. If you ask me about soccer I will reply with Football, cause to me that's what it is.
I don't mean to be rude, but while i am on the subject. One thing i have found rather astounding from living in Victoria for 8 years now, having moved from New South Wales, the state where i was born and bred, is the persicution for the love of my game, especially from the country people. Ever since I moved down south in 1997 I have had people on my back about why I love my football and why don't I just forget about it and follow an AFL team of the Victorian grown Australian Rules as they call it. I've had the game I love called the girls game, a game for panzys or gays. Told by people who have never watched a whole match in their lives that it is too boring, and stupid.
'My opinion' is that there are a whole lot of Victorians who should open their eyes and see that the world is bigger than this small state, and while it is great to have passion for your state and sport, I find it just plain rude the amount of disrespect both myself and my sport is given.
If you don't understand something, then either shut up or find yourself learning more about it and then if you still don't like it fine I'm not saying you have to, just leave those of us who do alone, and follow what you love.
(I'd just like to make note that 'My opinion' here is not aimed at anyone or any persons comments, and I am not having a go at anyone here, it is mainly just a generalisation of my experince from many years.)

6 Comments:

  • At 30 August, 2005 18:18, Blogger John M said…

    I would just like to add that Football, also known as soccer to some, is numerically the most played sport in Australia.

     
  • At 30 August, 2005 18:21, Blogger Christop said…

    You should move to Dandenong, it's much better appreciated there.

     
  • At 30 August, 2005 21:05, Blogger Tab said…

    Oh I found out today why NSW ppl think they're better than victorians too. It's cos originally when ppl in England were talking about Aust they called the whole thing NSW - that was when this was the place convicts were sent too. It was only really called Aust when other states started to for.

    Well, just as u have the right to call it football -remember the rest of us don't call it taht and u need to respect that too - and so don't be stubborn - too much about it :)

    Glad ur passionate about ur "football" - don't 4get to be culturally relevant too.

     
  • At 03 September, 2005 17:21, Blogger kelgell said…

    I think it's cool that you love football. Ü

     
  • At 05 September, 2005 11:18, Blogger David said…

    Did you watch the Soccaroos game on the weekend? How good was Mark I can't spell his last name's goal?!

     
  • At 06 September, 2005 17:09, Blogger John M said…

    yeah I did was good to see Viduka get a few goals, he's a Gun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home